Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Recipe - Tuna/Salmon Patties

When I was younger my dad would make my sister and me dinner at his house; and being a single dad, he often made what he knew. By that I mean a lot of eggs, lettuce with a lump of dressing on top, fresh veggies from the garden, fried okra & squash, sandwiches and, my favorite, salmon croquettes. 

I absolutely loved those things, and they were easy to make as well, so it was one of the first things I learned to cook. Canned salmon, an egg, and saltine crackers, mix it up and stick it in the frying pan. The mixing with my hands part might have been the whole reason I loved this so much. I got to play with the food, get messy, and eat something tasty all at the same time. It was a true WIN + WIN! 

I have been craving them for a while now and knew that I couldn't have the crackers, so I just ignored the craving. Then on Monday I decided that I already had everything at home (no grocery store run required -- another win) to make tuna patties. 

So this is how I made them, and let me just tell you...delicious. 

Tuna/Salmon Patties

Ingredients:                                                                          Serving Size 2 (16 oz of tuna)
  • 4 cans of white tuna (in water) (or canned salmon if you like that better)
  • 1/2 lemon juice
  • Sea Salt & Pepper to taste
  • 1/2 white onion chopped
  • Green onion chopped (as much or as little as you'd like)
  • 1 TBSP minced garlic
  • garlic powder & onion powder to taste (optional)
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 TBSP of coconut oil

Directions:
  • Drain your tuna, put everything in a bowl (except for the oil) and mix together. 
  • In the skillet put 2 TBSP of coconut oil & let it get hot
  • Form patties with your hands and carefully place in the skillet
  • Let the patties brown on the bottom & then flip
  • Once the patty is cooked to your liking remove from skillet and enjoy. 

(4 cans of tuna made 6 patties = 16 oz so my husband and I just each ate 3 = 8oz or protein each) 

These are a new favorite of ours! Let me know what you think!

Happy Wednesday! 


No comments:

Post a Comment